Main published sources:
A very good mid-nineteenth century description is to the Forgan parish chapter of History of the County of
Fife: From the Earliest Period to the Present Time, vol. 3 by John
M Leighton, published 1840, original at Google Books.
- The best late-nineteenth century source is History of Newport and the Parish of Forgan; and
Rambles Round the District by J S Neish, published by W. & D.C. Thomson, Dundee, 1890. It began as a series of newspaper articles and was later published in book form. Original at
the Open Libary but has thirty pages missing. I have made the missing pages (vii, 1-27, 78, 160) available for download here. 'Print-on-demand' copies of the book are taken from the Open Library, so they too are missing those pages. I have also created a name index to the book.
- Newport's Story Retold by Mairi Shiels, ISBN 978-1526205131, published
2016, is an excellent history of the burgh, complete with many illustrations.
- Old Newport and Wormit by Mairi Shiels (1998, Stenlake Publishing, ISBN 184033049X - older edition, or 9781840330496 - reprint) contains many photographs with good descriptions.
- The Statistical Accounts:
- The 'Old' Statistical Account for Forgan parish, written by the minister in 1793, is in Sir John Sinclair's Statistical Account of Scotland, vol. 16, and can be found at
edina, also at Google Books.
- The 'New' Statistical Account for Forgan Parish written by the minister in 1838, is in The New Statistical Account of Scotland, vol. IX Fife & Kinross, also at edina
and at Google Books.
- Forgan parish in The Third Statistical Account of Scotland - The County of Fife, by Alexander Smith, published by Oliver & Boyd, Edinburgh 1952, 815pp., contains the descriptions for all the Fife parishes. This volume is not on the internet but can be purchased second-hand. Extract here.
- The Newport on Tay and Wormit War Memorial by Gordon Small, 2008, has biographies and photographs of those recorded on the World War 1 and 2 memorials. It is available from the Tay Valley Family History Society (ISBN 978-1-905997-38-1).
Texts on this site:
- Early Gazetteers - Chalmers 1803, Constable 1806, Webster 1819, Turnbull 1825, Chambers 1838
- Fullarton's Topographical, Statistical and
Historical Gazetteer of Scotland, 1842
- Samuel Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of
- Barbieri's Descriptive and Historical Gazetteer
of the Counties of Fife, Kinross and Clackmannan, 1857
- Westwood's Parochial Directory for the Counties of Fife and Kinross, 1862
- Slater's Royal National Commercial Directory of Scotland, 1867
- Wilson's Gazetteer of Scotland, 1882
- Francis Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland, 1882-4
- Slater's Royal National Commercial Directory of Scotland, 1889
- Francis Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland, 1892-6
- Francis Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland, 1901
- Slater's Royal National Directory of Scotland, 1911 and 1921
- Newport and the Dundee Guildry, [1713 - 1787], from Burgh Laws of Dundee ..., A J Warden, 1872
- Regulations Concerning the Ferries Over the Tay, 1809,
- Answers made by the schoolmaster to the Select Committee on Education in Scotland, 1838
- Newspaper report: seizure of geneva, 1841
- Evidence to the Poor Law Inquiry for Scotland, 1844
- Constitution of the Newport Children's Home, Comerton, 1893
- Rules & Regulations for [Vicarsford] Cemetery, 1894.
- The Building Trade - from The Dundee Yearbook, 1893 - 1900
- Newport United Presbyterian Church - from History of the Congregations of the United Presbyterian Church 1733-1900 by Robert Small
- Evolution of the "Mars" Ship, A L Scott, October 1917
- History of the Church in Forgan Parish, A P Bogie, 1974
- Some old Trophies
Links to texts on other sites:
Fasti Ecclesiae Scoticanae - Biographies of Church of Scotland Ministers
- Forgan Parish Church, 1561 - 1925, at the Internet Archive
- Forgan Parish Church, 1925 - 1929, and additions to previous entries, at the Internet Archive
- Newport St Thomas' Church, 1871 - 1925, at the Internet Archive
- Newport St Thomas' Church, 1920 - 1929, and additions to previous entries, at the Internet Archive
- Wormit Church, 1898 - 1928, at the Internet Archive
- Wormit Church, 1917 - 1929, and additions to previous entries, at the Internet Archive
- The Tay Bridge - its history and construction, by Albert Grothe, 1878 - Description by the bridge's resident engineer - at the Internet Archive
- The Tay Bridge, by Albert Grothe, from Nature, 1 August 1878 - Another description by the bridge's resident engineer - at the Internet Archive
- The Tay Bridge Disaster - Report of the Court of Inquiry & Report of Mr Rothery, 1880 - Official Inquiry Reports - at the Internet Archive
- The Tay Bridge Disaster, from Science, vol. 1, 1880 - at the Internet Archive
- The New Tay Bridge: A Course of Lectures Delivered at the Royal School of Military Engineering, Crawford Barlow, 1888 - The new railway bridge - by the son of the lead engineer - at the Internet Archive
Return to Home Page