ViewLogo

The Newport, Wormit & Forgan Archive

Location : Knowehead

Street View Image

= Property demolished or site redeveloped

Data linkage to other information currently on this site is practically complete. For Directory entries, Census records and Valuation Roll entries, there may be a few other entries not listed here.

Notes:      The original Washer Willy's.

 

Location and Old Maps

Latitude, longitude:      56.43693,-2.90842

View location on the 1855 6-inch map, the 1895 25-inch map, or a 1944-50 aerial photograph at the National Library of Scotland website.

 

Introduction

Newport people knew this location as Washer Willy's. Tayport people referred to it as Jess Philip's Dam. Both can be identified on the census returns. Knowehead was demolished and "Washer Willy's" is now used by the larger property nearer the road (which was the original Chesterhill).

Old Addresses (any dates are approximate and are usually the latest occurence of the address)

-

 

House Names (any dates are approximate and are usually the latest occurence of the name)

Knowehead
Washer Willy's

 

Directory entries (before 1968)

None available yet

 

Census records

YearHead Notes
1891 Jarvis William View household
1881 Philip William View household
1871 Philp William View household
1861 Philp Janet View household
1851 Philip Janet View household
1841 Philp Alexander View household

 

Valuation Roll entries

YearNo.PropertyProprietorTenantOccupierValue
None available yet

 

Sasines pre-1900:

-

 

Return to:     Home Page   Present-day Addresses     Old House Names     Directories    Valuation Rolls    Census