ViewLogo

The Newport, Wormit & Forgan Archive

Notes on Individual Properties

Opened in 1895 as the Wormit Mission. Became Chapel of Ease in 1898.West Hall, 1,  Bay RoadLocation
This Clubhouse was built in 1937. The Club moved to Woodhaven Pier in the late 1960s.formerly Wormit Boating Club,  Bay RoadLocation
Lower flat was separate from mid 1960s to c.2000.74  Bay RoadLocation
Lower flat from mid 1960s to c.2000.formerly 74a,  Bay RoadLocation
Link with second Tay Bridge: Wm. Arrol & Co. were tenants in 1885 (unlikely to have been used by labourers).91  Bay RoadLocation
From 1947 to 2008 was combined with No. 8 as the Robertson Rest Home.7  Beechwood Tce WestLocation
From 1947 to 2008 was combined with No. 7 as the Robertson Rest Home.8  Beechwood Tce WestLocation
Built 1871, cost £1350. 400 sittings.St Thomas's Church, 1,  Blyth StreetLocation
Built 1878, space for 421 scholars.Newport School, 5,  Blyth StreetLocation
Prior to 1935, was a single shop with no. 9; and from 1922 - 1924 also with no. 11.7  Cupar RoadLocation
Prior to 1935, was a single shop with no. 7; and from 1922 - 1924 also with no. 11.9  Cupar RoadLocation
From about 1922 - 1924, was part of single shop with nos. 7 and 9.11  Cupar RoadLocation
Prior to 1922, this and no. 19 formed one single shop.17  Cupar RoadLocation
Prior to 1922, this and no. 17 formed one single shop.19  Cupar RoadLocation
Link with the Tay Bridge: Gerrit Camphuis stayed here.31  Cupar RoadLocation
There is much confusion, pre-1903, as to who lived where: addresses of 1, 1a, 1b and 3 St Phillans Place were used for 4 houses and a shop. They were all occupied by tenants, lodgers and boarders. Unless there is census or valuation roll proof, residents could be present in any of the properties. The houses concerned are 4 Cupar Road, 6 Cupar Road, 1 St Mary's Lane and 3 St Mary's Lane.6  Cupar RoadLocation
There is much confusion, pre-1903, as to who lived where: addresses of 1, 1a, 1b and 3 St Phillans Place were used for 4 houses and a shop. They were all occupied by tenants, lodgers and boarders. Unless there is census or valuation roll proof, residents could be present in any of the properties. The houses concerned are 4 Cupar Road, 6 Cupar Road, 1 St Mary's Lane and 3 St Mary's Lane.4  Cupar RoadLocation
Built 1881 as United Presbyterian Church, cost over £2000. 400 sittings. Spire 80 feet high.Trinity UF Church, 2,  High StreetLocation
Built 1887, consecrated 1888, 247 sittings.St Mary's Church,  High StreetLocation
The whole building was used as a school private school from the late 1880s to about 1947. Some teachers lived on the premises. This part is combined with 5 Hillside c. 1955 - c. 1970.1  HillsideLocation
The whole building was used as a school private school from the late 1880s to about 1947. Some teachers lived on the premises. 3 Hillside and 5 Hillside were listed as separate distince houses from c. 1916.3  HillsideLocation
The whole building was used as a school private school from the late 1880s to about 1947. Some teachers lived on the premises. 3 Hillside and 5 Hillside were listed as separate distince houses from c. 1916. This part is combined with 1 Hillside c. 1955 - c. 1970.5  HillsideLocation
Opened 23 April 1868. Building costs less than £2000.Congregational Church,  KilnburnLocation
Link with the Tay Bridge: Albert Groethe stayed here.3  KilnburnLocation
From about 1905 until about 1950, both the house (9) and the building behind (7) were the home of the Newport Liberal Club. A caretaker lived on the premises. From c. 1950 to c. 1965 the building at the back was an Ebenezer Chapel. The building at the back was originally twice its present length.7  KilnburnLocation
From about 1905 until about 1950, both the house (9) and the building behind (7) were the home of the Newport Liberal Club. A caretaker lived on the premises.9  KilnburnLocation
Link with the Tay Bridge: Henry Noble stayed here.17  KilnburnLocation
Built on the site of Kinbrae.1  Kinbrae CourtLocation
Built on the site of Kinbrae.2  Kinbrae CourtLocation
Built on the site of Kinbrae.3  Kinbrae CourtLocation
Built on the site of Kinbrae.4  Kinbrae CourtLocation
Built on the site of Kinbrae.5  Kinbrae CourtLocation
Built on the site of Kinbrae.6  Kinbrae CourtLocation
Built on the site of Kinbrae.7  Kinbrae CourtLocation
Built on the site of Kinbrae.8  Kinbrae CourtLocation
Built on the gardens of Kinbrae.1  Kinbrae ParkLocation
Built on the gardens of Kinbrae.2  Kinbrae ParkLocation
Built on the gardens of Kinbrae.3  Kinbrae ParkLocation
Built on the gardens of Kinbrae.4  Kinbrae ParkLocation
Built on the gardens of Kinbrae.5  Kinbrae ParkLocation
Built on the gardens of Kinbrae.6  Kinbrae ParkLocation
Built on the gardens of Kinbrae.7  Kinbrae ParkLocation
Built on the gardens of Kinbrae.8  Kinbrae ParkLocation
Built on the gardens of Kinbrae.9  Kinbrae ParkLocation
Built on the gardens of Kinbrae.10  Kinbrae ParkLocation
Built on the gardens of Kinbrae.11  Kinbrae ParkLocation
Built on the gardens of Kinbrae.12  Kinbrae ParkLocation
Built on the gardens of Kinbrae.13  Kinbrae ParkLocation
Built on the gardens of Kinbrae.14  Kinbrae ParkLocation
Built on the gardens of Kinbrae.15  Kinbrae ParkLocation
Built on the gardens of Kinbrae.16  Kinbrae ParkLocation
Built on the gardens of Kinbrae.17  Kinbrae ParkLocation
Built on the gardens of Kinbrae.18  Kinbrae ParkLocation
Built on the gardens of Kinbrae.19  Kinbrae ParkLocation
Built on the gardens of Kinbrae.20  Kinbrae ParkLocation
Built on the gardens of Kinbrae.21  Kinbrae ParkLocation
Built on the gardens of Kinbrae.22  Kinbrae ParkLocation
Built on the gardens of Kinbrae.23  Kinbrae ParkLocation
Built on the gardens of Kinbrae.24  Kinbrae ParkLocation
Built on the gardens of Kinbrae.25  Kinbrae ParkLocation
Built on the gardens of Kinbrae.26  Kinbrae ParkLocation
Built on the gardens of Kinbrae.27  Kinbrae ParkLocation
Built on the gardens of Kinbrae.28  Kinbrae ParkLocation
Built on the gardens of Kinbrae.29  Kinbrae ParkLocation
Built on the gardens of Kinbrae.30  Kinbrae ParkLocation
Built on the gardens of Kinbrae.31  Kinbrae ParkLocation
Built on the gardens of Kinbrae.32  Kinbrae ParkLocation
Built on the gardens of Kinbrae.33  Kinbrae ParkLocation
Built on the gardens of Kinbrae.35  Kinbrae ParkLocation
Built on the gardens of Kinbrae.37  Kinbrae ParkLocation
Built on the gardens of Kinbrae.39  Kinbrae ParkLocation
Built on the gardens of Kinbrae.41  Kinbrae ParkLocation
Police Station and police house from 1868, became house only from 1907.formerly 4, police house,  King StreetLocation
Police Station from 1907.formerly 6, police station,  King StreetLocation
Second police house.formerly 8, police house,  King StreetLocation
More information in the blog March 201720  King StreetLocation
More information in the blog March 2017St Fillans R C Church, 18,  King StreetLocation
More information in the blog March 201739  Naughton RoadLocation
An upstairs bedroom contained built-in wardrobes reputedly made from wood recovered from the Tay Bridge disaster.10  Prospect TerraceLocation
More information in the blog February 201711  Riverside RoadLocation
More information in the blog February 201713  Riverside RoadLocation
First Free Church on this site from 1895 in what is now the East Hall. This church building opened 1901.Wormit Church, 52,  Riverside RoadLocation
Link with the Tay Bridge: Frank Beattie stayed here.8  Shepherds RoadLocation
There is much confusion, pre-1903, as to who lived where: addresses of 1, 1a, 1b and 3 St Phillans Place were used for 4 houses and a shop. They were all occupied by tenants, lodgers and boarders. Unless there is census or valuation roll proof, residents could be present in any of the properties. The houses concerned are 4 Cupar Road, 6 Cupar Road, 1 St Mary's Lane and 3 St Mary's Lane.1  St Marys LaneLocation
There is much confusion, pre-1903, as to who lived where: addresses of 1, 1a, 1b and 3 St Phillans Place were used for 4 houses and a shop. They were all occupied by tenants, lodgers and boarders. Unless there is census or valuation roll proof, residents could be present in any of the properties. The houses concerned are 4 Cupar Road, 6 Cupar Road, 1 St Mary's Lane and 3 St Mary's Lane.3  St Marys LaneLocation
85, 87 & 89 Tay Street: 85 was built and occupied by 1861. Either 87 or 89 was also built at this time. The third house was built by 1869. It is not possible, from the information available here, to tell whether 87 or 89 was the last one to be built.85  Tay StreetLocation
85, 87 & 89 Tay Street: 85 was built and occupied by 1861. Either 87 or 89 was also built at this time. The third house was built by 1869. It is not possible, from the information available here, to tell whether 87 or 89 was the last one to be built.87  Tay StreetLocation
85, 87 & 89 Tay Street: 85 was built and occupied by 1861. Either 87 or 89 was also built at this time. The third house was built by 1869. It is not possible, from the information available here, to tell whether 87 or 89 was the last one to be built.89  Tay StreetLocation
Link with the Tay Bridge: David Jobson who lived here in the 1870s was a victim of the disaster.98  Tay StreetLocation
More information in the blog February 20172  Union StreetLocation
Built c. 1824 as the Dower House for Tayfield (see Fife Herald, 27 Jan 1825, p5 col 4 - "Mr Berry's new cottage")2  West RoadLocation
Built 1868 as replacement for the smaller original church built in 1843. Seats for 600 plus gallery extension.St Fillans Church,  William StreetLocation
Built 1843 as Free Church School.St Fillans Church Hall,  William StreetLocation
Link with second Tay Bridge: Thomas Arrol stayed here.2  Woodmuir TerraceLocation
Built 1841, 550 sittings.Forgan ChurchLocation
Built post-1967. Built on part of garden of Wellgate House.80  West RoadLocation
The property was demolished in 1960; the site was redeveloped and became Kinbrae Court and Kinbrae Park, but not Kinbrae Park Gardens.Kinbrae,  West RoadLocation
The sequence of occupiers along the row differs between the valuation rolls and the censuses. Other sources (directories, Council minutes and school records) give numbers which agree with the valuation roll sequence at least as far back as 1899. Before that, there is no proof. The valuation roll sequence has been used here throughout, this giving the 'best guess' as to who lived where.1 High Level,  Naughton RoadLocation
The sequence of occupiers along the row differs between the valuation rolls and the censuses. Other sources (directories, Council minutes and school records) give numbers which agree with the valuation roll sequence at least as far back as 1899. Before that, there is no proof. The valuation roll sequence has been used here throughout, this giving the 'best guess' as to who lived where.2 High Level,  Naughton RoadLocation
The sequence of occupiers along the row differs between the valuation rolls and the censuses. Other sources (directories, Council minutes and school records) give numbers which agree with the valuation roll sequence at least as far back as 1899. Before that, there is no proof. The valuation roll sequence has been used here throughout, this giving the 'best guess' as to who lived where.3 High Level,  Naughton RoadLocation
The sequence of occupiers along the row differs between the valuation rolls and the censuses. Other sources (directories, Council minutes and school records) give numbers which agree with the valuation roll sequence at least as far back as 1899. Before that, there is no proof. The valuation roll sequence has been used here throughout, this giving the 'best guess' as to who lived where.4 High Level,  Naughton RoadLocation
The sequence of occupiers along the row differs between the valuation rolls and the censuses. Other sources (directories, Council minutes and school records) give numbers which agree with the valuation roll sequence at least as far back as 1899. Before that, there is no proof. The valuation roll sequence has been used here throughout, this giving the 'best guess' as to who lived where.5 High Level,  Naughton RoadLocation
Used as a Mission Hall from 1889 to 1895 - the first church in Wormit.5 High Level,  Naughton RoadLocation
The sequence of occupiers along the row differs between the valuation rolls and the censuses. Other sources (directories, Council minutes and school records) give numbers which agree with the valuation roll sequence at least as far back as 1899. Before that, there is no proof. The valuation roll sequence has been used here throughout, this giving the 'best guess' as to who lived where.6 High Level,  Naughton RoadLocation
The sequence of occupiers along the row differs between the valuation rolls and the censuses. Other sources (directories, Council minutes and school records) give numbers which agree with the valuation roll sequence at least as far back as 1899. Before that, there is no proof. The valuation roll sequence has been used here throughout, this giving the 'best guess' as to who lived where.7 High Level,  Naughton RoadLocation
The sequence of occupiers along the row differs between the valuation rolls and the censuses. Other sources (directories, Council minutes and school records) give numbers which agree with the valuation roll sequence at least as far back as 1899. Before that, there is no proof. The valuation roll sequence has been used here throughout, this giving the 'best guess' as to who lived where.8 High Level,  Naughton RoadLocation
The sequence of occupiers along the row differs between the valuation rolls and the censuses. Other sources (directories, Council minutes and school records) give numbers which agree with the valuation roll sequence at least as far back as 1899. Before that, there is no proof. The valuation roll sequence has been used here throughout, this giving the 'best guess' as to who lived where.9 High Level,  Naughton RoadLocation
The sequence of occupiers along the row differs between the valuation rolls and the censuses. Other sources (directories, Council minutes and school records) give numbers which agree with the valuation roll sequence at least as far back as 1899. Before that, there is no proof. The valuation roll sequence has been used here throughout, this giving the 'best guess' as to who lived where.10 High Level,  Naughton RoadLocation
The sequence of occupiers along the row differs between the valuation rolls and the censuses. Other sources (directories, Council minutes and school records) give numbers which agree with the valuation roll sequence at least as far back as 1899. Before that, there is no proof. The valuation roll sequence has been used here throughout, this giving the 'best guess' as to who lived where.11 High Level,  Naughton RoadLocation
The sequence of occupiers along the row differs between the valuation rolls and the censuses. Other sources (directories, Council minutes and school records) give numbers which agree with the valuation roll sequence at least as far back as 1899. Before that, there is no proof. The valuation roll sequence has been used here throughout, this giving the 'best guess' as to who lived where.12 High Level,  Naughton RoadLocation
Farm steading, part used as accommodation, part used as a shop from c.1900.Scroggieside Farm steading,  Riverside RoadLocation
Pumping station built 1880 to pump water to reservoir on Wormit Hill following Tay Bridge collapse. Pumping ceased on opening of new Tay Bridge in 1887.house at pumping station,  Bay RoadLocation
Space for 130 pupils.Forgan SchoolLocation
Built in 1879 to store water brought over the Tay Bridge to supply Newport and Wormit. It is 'one of the strangest sounding places in the UK' - Google it!Reservoir,  Reservoir RoadLocation
Location Map.Wormit Bay Golf Club,  Bay RoadLocation
More information on Golf's Missing Links.Wormit Bay Golf Club,  Bay RoadLocation
Used by the Town Council 1939-45, also site of an air-raid shelter; previously used as a garage by John T Young; before that it was the Newport and District Steam Laundry; before that King Street Dairy.former laundry,  Queen StreetLocation
Used as ARP headquarters 1939-45; demolished after the war.The Cottage,  King StreetLocation

Return to Home Page