Extract from 'History of the Congregations of the United Presbyterian Church 1733-1900, vol. 1', Robert Small, 1904
Newport (United Presbyterian)
On 16th May 1878 twenty residenters in Newport, mostly members of our Dundee churches, petitioned the Presbytery of Dundee for sermon during the summer months, their object being to test whether a congregation might not be formed there. The use of a hall having been obtained the station was opened on Sabbath, 2nd June, the people undertaking the entire financial responsibility. In OCtober 37 'persons,' members of the U. P. Church, prayed the Presbytery to form them into a congregation with as little delay as possible. This was done on Sabbath, 8th December, and on 25th March 1879 three elders were ordained or inducted, one of whom had been a member of the Wishart Church session.
First Minister - James S Scotland, from Errol, where he had been for eight years. Though there were only 43 memberssigning the call the stipend was to be £250. The Home Committee had promised £250, to be spread over five years, and paid in such instalments as might be thought best. Mr Scotland was inducted, 10th September 1879. On Thursday, 18th May 1882, the new church, with sittings for 400, was opened by Dr John Ker. It cost over £2000, of which only £250 came from the Church Extension Fund. At the close of 1899 there was a membership of 120, and the stipend was £250. The income for the year was over £400, nearly £100 being for missionary and benevolent purposes.
Original at the Internet Archive.
Return to: Library Contents