Slater's Royal National Commercial Directory of Scotland, 1889
Forgan parish extends for about 4 miles in length and about 2.5 miles in breadth, along the south bank of the Firth of Tay, exactly opposite the town of Dundee, and comprises 4983 acres. It is bounded by Ferry-Port-on-Craig on the east, Balmerino on the west, and Leuchars and Kilmany on the south. The parish church of Forgan is nearly 2 miles inland, being 10 miles N.E. from Cupar and the same distance N.W. from St. Andrews. There is also a Board school. The landward part of the parish is richly wooded and well cultivated. The mansion house of St. Fort, the residence of Miss Stewart, standing out conspicuously in the landscape, is in this parish; and about 1 mile w. from Newport is the small harbour of Woodhaven. Newport is the nearest railway station. Population of the parish in 1881, 3308.
Newport, a handsome village in the parish of Forgan, stretching along the Firth of Tay, is picturesquely situated, directly opposite to Dundee (its post town), about 2 miles s. therefrom, and 3 miles s.w. from Tayport, the ground sloping upwards to a considerable height from the river Tay. Many elegant villas have been erected; and as there is constant communication with Dundee by railway since the opening of the new Tay Bridge, and also by the Steamers which ply hourly, and the climate being salubrious and comparatively mild, it has now become a popular suburb of Dundee. Newport was made a burgh in November, 1887. It possesses five handsome churches, a commodious public hall, erected at a cost of £4000, and a Board school, built in 1878, to accommodate upwards of 400 scholars. The south end of the Tay Bridge is at Wormit, about a mile to the west of Newport. There are two railway stations here, one at East Newport for goods and passengers, and one at West Newport for passengers only. Population of Newport in 1881, 2811.
Post Office, Newport: -, Post Master. Letters from all parts arrive (from Dundee) at 6.20 and 10.30 a.m. and 6.20 p.m. and are despatched at 9 a.m. and 1.15, 4.15 and 8 p.m., and on Sundays at 10 15 a.m. Money Order and Telegraph Office. Letters for Newport should be addressed 'Newport, Fife' and for Forgan, Balmerino and Gauldry, 'near Newport, Fife'.
Original at National Library of Scotland, Digital gallery
Return to: Library Contents